Saturday, August 29, 2009

At last...

I finally landed a job this past week. Took me five months and I have to say that I feel very fortunate. I am working in a private dining and catering club here in Seattle. Good stuff. It's a step in a direction. Don't know what that direction is yet...but I have to believe it is a good one.

So now, my blog can focus on my creative endeavors that I am planning. My new website...www.christyarts.com is up and coming. I have been a fiber enthusiast and fiber artist for 9 years now and with all of my teaching and knitting accomplishments, I feel that it is time to focus on something I can feel passionate about and still work with fibers! My creative focus my friends? Me and Pink Martini: Fiber arts and Music. Let me briefly explain.

Pink Martini is a joyously composed band of excellent and talented musicians and singers. I am utterly impressed with each and every album they put out and the inspiration to create something to their music is more than I can contain. So...with their albums, Hang on Little Tomato and their most recent release Hey Eugene! I plan on creating a needle felted art piece for each song suited to hang on any wall. Only the eclectic may apply....

Needle felting is so much fun. I used to teach the technique to students at two local Yarn Shops here in Seattle: Acorn Street Yarns and Village Yarn and Tea Shop. The latter being the shop I currently teach at. (I will also begin posting accomplishments of my lovely students on this blog as well and upcoming classes I am teaching). I plan on taking needle felting to creative new heights and make each represent my inspiration through various songs on both albums. Song by song until I feel all my creative juices have been thoroughly exhausted. My first piece is in production, and only shown below (click on image so that you can really see the detail of the piece. The image doesn't do it justice) to give you some idea of my progress. Needle felting is arduous and can take quite a bit of time to master and complete. It can look like mud...and then Voila! It is a lovely piece worth all the hard work.

I envision the final pieces attached to a lovely wooden rod conducive to hanging on the wall. I am giving myself several months to go through each album, but will for each and every song, post and offer my progress and would love to have comments and enthusiasm from my fiber-loving friends out there in the world!

First Song...Aspettami (Italian for "Wait") See lyrics below...It invokes in me a woman in the middle of floating leaves. A woman who is loved, sought after, almost iconic. She is holding the center of her will and chaos flows around her. Here is the beginning of what this song does to me.... As I will assume, finding out what most of these songs are saying is going to prove challenging. But with my handy-dandy research skills, I will make it happen. Fortunately, the first chosen song is in English with one Italian word: verb-wait. Okay, one down and several more to come. It's going to be a good time for all. So enjoy the art and explore this amazing band that has inspired me to do more than sit on my butt in the coming weeks...



Aspettami
Wait for me
I've been lost
Adrift at sea
In your dreams
Dream my way
Someday I'll find my heart
And come back to stay

Do you miss me
My darling
As I miss you
Take my hand
And pull me near
And never let me go again my dear

There was a time
I was safe in your arms
And the stars fell away like diamonds
Then we were young
And our love was younger still
Was it just an illusion

Aspettami
Wait for me
Close your eyes
And you will see
I'm coming home
Every sky in my heart will be blue
On the day I come back to you

I'm coming home
Every sky in my heart will be blue
On the day I come back to you

No comments: