Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sundays

I used to hate Sunday evenings for one reason: work the next day. Now, I dread Sundays for another reason: work I DON'T HAVE the next day. It's one thing to enjoy a weekend before the monotonous work-week hits. It's quite another to be enjoying a weekend knowing there is nothing I'm working toward.

I was on a boat trip this weekend with a wonderful man I'm seeing and I temporarily forgot that I had any responsibilities in the world. Getting taken care of, enjoying the lovely Puget Sound and the quirky little ports we visited. It was an over-due break I needed to get away and for having the best company I could ever ask for. Now, back to reality and...job searching.

I have my resume posted on Northwest Jobs, Jobdango, Monster, Hotjobs and primarily look to craigslist for the majority of work. It's depressing how few jobs are available. I love it when Monster sends me jobs and they actually rate how qualified you are if you were to apply to any of them. Wanna know what mine always says? "Minimal Match." That's great huh? Send me jobs and then tell me the likelihood that I'd ever get it is slim to none. You practically have to have a freakin' PHd to be a secretary. I try to maintain perspective and realize that hey, maybe I'm not unemployable. Our state is almost 10% unemployed; it can't be JUST me, can it? I would like to think not and that may be false hope, but false hope is better than no hope at all, right?

So Monday will start and I'm off to get my transcript from the UW. I have astronomical student loans I can't pay off and what is my next step? Maybe going back to school to become a teacher. Of course, our state lays teachers off, so what am I thinking, right? It's something I've wanted to do now for years; I have the time to investigate and search out options. So what if I'm 75 before my loans are paid off, right? Whatever. It's something to do on a Monday when I need to feel useful.

More to come on that front and where my options will take me.

No comments: