Friday, September 18, 2009

A Season Upon Us

Fall is my favorite time of year. I get a soft scent of it in the mild September evenings. I look forward to watching the leaves slowing turn colors of red, orange and yellow. People seem to change a bit too. New haircuts, softer tones, a new attitude. Slowly, light jackets come out of the closet and your favorite sweatshirt makes it's way back. Football traffic picks up and a subtle scent of savories in the air makes it very exciting. The sun is waning earlier each and every night. I love it.

For most knitters, Fall tends to be opening season. Although an all-season knitter myself, I thoroughly enjoy starting a Fair Isle or a cabled project and airing out all my sweaters to be worn through the rainy season. I recently finished a Fair Isle hat called Selbu Modern. I used Mini Mochi and a Dale of Norway yarn. I'll take a photo of my finished hat and post later.

Fall also invokes a sense of mystery. I think it's the most prominent season of change and the wonders of what this earth can do is astonishing. And in a short period of time. Everywhere I look, I see images of things I want to re-create with yarn and fiber. Although holding fast to my Pink Martini project, I can't help but see a lovely array of wall hangings of how I see this season.

Mentioning the project: I haven't gotten as far as I would have liked. A new job, a busy schedule with my daughter isn't conducive to sitting at home and making art. Sometimes, well more honestly, most times, I wish I didn't have to work at all for a few years and use the hiatus to create all that I can muster. Maybe someday that will happen. I get few and fewer moments of clarity, making creating harder and harder to do. But I digress...I will not give up. My first piece should be done soon and then moving on the next.

Pink Martini is actually coming to The Pantages in Tacoma next month, but tickets are so expensive, so I have to resign myself to the fact I will likely never see a performance. But I can enjoy the music at home and the art created from their inspiring lyrics and melodies.

No comments: