Friday, July 20, 2007

Please Don't Eat the Daisies

How can one watch a Doris Day film and not smile? She had the greatest smile ever. It was innocent and refreshing. What happened to movies like that? Last night I coerced my 11-year-old daughter to watch the classic movie with me that I’d been harboring for weeks. I’ve been Netflixin’ it for months now and it’s been sitting on my table for 3 weeks waiting to be watched. All I needed was a few 100 cats, a floral muumuu and a bottle of Vodka; throw in a pint of Chocolate Chip Mint Skinny Cows for good measure and I would be the stereotypical single girl who can’t get a date; tough days. I think I’ve lived a previous life because most of the time I don’t feel like I belong in this one.

It’s been a crappy week and watching old movies does the trick, at least for a few hours. Thank God these are the days of advanced technology and battery operated “things.” Who needs a man when you have all of the above? No inflated grocery bill, no petty arguments, no farts, no burps (although I can hold my own, thank you) But, I digress.

The evening progressed and guilt overcame my lazy butt and I took my dog (Oliver) out at 9 pm for a short walk. Strange things happen after 9 pm around this city. People look a little different, because in the dark, who doesn’t? So I stuck to well-lit areas and appeased my pug for a while and actually stopped and talked to a neighbor because I have admired her yard for months now and always walk by and pretend that I could someday possess such a yard. Ha! No such luck. Only in my dreams; but I can admire others whose dreams have already come true, can’t I? I enjoy living vicariously through others. Some days, it’s the only thing that keeps me going. So I enjoyed a beautiful Seattle summer dusk and let the wind blow against my face without the slightest frown. It was lovely outside. As most things, it had to end and I came back and feebly tried to exercise more by jogging place. Ladies; this is very boring. I don’t recommend it. But I broke a sweat and as my dog looked at me like I was a crazy person, did some sit ups on my Pilates ball; all for the sake of health.

Well the night progressed and a few handfuls of chocolate chips later and my daughter overtaking my bed, I began watching “An Affair to Remember” Cary Grant. Wow. What a man! Sad, sad movie. I told my daughter that during this era of film, Cary Grant was a hot commodity and was a “true hunk” as my aunt would say. Her response to me was, “So, he was like the Johnny Depp of his time?” I had to laugh; I tried to imagine how her mind jumped to that conclusion and said “In an odd sort of way, I guess.” I guess I could see Mr. Grant saying, “Savy?”

We spent the rest of the evening singing “Please Don’t Eat the Daisies.”

No comments: