Monday, July 30, 2007

Did Someone Say..."6-Foot Plastic Birthday Cake?"


This past weekend was my daughter’s birthday. She is now 12 going on about 16. She looks like it too, all by her little self. Mother Nature has been in favor of my daughter from day one. I tend to worry…a lot.

My daughter has known that she would be receiving an ipod for several months now for her birthday. I made her wait the entire month before she could receive it. I just believe that birthday gifts should be opened on your birthday…give or take a few days, but not a whole month before! So Saturday I awoke, had to get to an eye exam and proceeded to go to the store and buy her favorite waffles, a Mylar happy face balloon with a tie-dyed background and a candy-sprinkled doughnut that I put a candle in and sang happy birthday to her as I served her breakfast. I made her wait a little longer before I handed her the cute little-red-very-expensive-we-are-very-poor-this-month-because-of-it-ipod. However, some of the proceeds go to Africa to help fight AIDS. Like buying an ipod will help. But that’s a different story; one very opinionated story.

Saturday ensued and while cleaning my very messy apartment, I had to interrupt my groove to fetch her best friend. We stopped for Slurpees and came home for the rest of the day. Time seemed to stop for these two as they played WOW, emailed friends and watched Anime in my daughter’s room.

Then what do my wondering ears should hear but a knock at the door! Who could be visiting today? It was my daughter’s best “boy-friend.” Not boyfriend, but a boy who is her friend. That is my story and I’m stickin’ to it - He rode his bike all the way from his house to our apartment to see my daughter on her birthday. Well, isn’t that special? I never received such a nice surprise from a boy, ever, but that again is a different story and another very opinionated one at that.

So, Mr.-Boy-who-is-my-daughter’s-friend ended up staying until 8 pm, and pizza was had and laughs all around. It is very interesting to watch three pre-teens interact with each other, especially two girls and a boy. Things are different that is for sure. One thing is for sure, my mother and father would have never and I do mean never let a boy come over at a mere age of 12 to my house. My father would have shown him the grave. Well, my father did that at age 15 anyway. But again, I digress.

Saturday came and went. I slept with earplugs in that night so that I could actually sleep among squealing and the TV going. It was morning before I knew it and off to my sister’s to celebrate her birthday officially.

My mother and her husband and my sister and her boyfriend all moved this weekend, so a party smack dab in the middle of it all was a bit stressful but all went on without a hitch, thank God!

My daughter’s menu of choice for her birthday was as follows:

  • Vegan pizza (my sister’s influence)
  • Vegan chocolate cake (again, my sister’s influence)
  • Jello Poke Cake (my mother’s influence)
  • Watermelon
  • A bowl of Kissable candies

I don’t know, I don’t ask, I just provide and we did. I walked in to the empty apartment and found my mother blowing up a 6 foot tall plastic three-tiered birthday cake decoration. I grabbed my camera to forever memorialize this moment in time. It was a sight you had to be there to appreciate and then laugh your ass of at.

On the wall my sister put up a paper entitling it “50 Things We Love About Nadine.” My sister is like that; wanting to capture a moment in writing that can be enjoyed for the rest of your life. By the end of the evening we had 50 reasons why my daughter is wonderful. After all, she did come from my womb with 9 hours of grueling natural labor! (I never let her forget that)

The evening was closing in and I found myself laying on top of the 6-foot tall plastic cake. Yes, you read right, I was laying on it. My sister thought I could put it in the back of my Volvo wagon. Ha! I wouldn’t be caught dead with that blown up thing in the back of my trunk. I made my daughter and her friend lay on it and get all the air out until it was in a state to where it could fit in my car. However, the games had really only begun and wrestling, yelling, laughing and joking was had all on this plastic cake. An hour went by and still not flat enough. I did what any crazed, tired mom would do, and I sat on it and wouldn’t move. My sister got the whole thing on her lovely camera. Pictures to come…What I won't do for my daughter.

No comments: