Saturday, July 21, 2007


I must admit it sooner or later, and I guess sooner would be better than later. I am a knitter. Not just any knitter, but a "Be All You Can Knit" knitter. I've worked in a yarn shop before (4 yrs) and I teach and so on and so on. One doesn't see me outside of work without a knitting bag and needles. I'll even go as far as to knit at the movie theatre. Yeah, I'm that good. It's one of the few things I'm good at, so I'll gloat if I want to. However, this skirt that you see on the left: "The Skirt From Hell." A 100% linen skirt with well over 200 stitches on each round on a very small needle. You knitters out there can sympathize. You've been there haven't you?

I thank this woman I knit for. She has happily employed me for two years as I knit what seems to be her entire wardrobe and has provided me with the much-needed extra income. But this skirt: 40 hours of grueling knitting labor. I think I would have rather amputated my pinky finger than knit this skirt. You might be wondering if there is really someone out there who would really wear this skirt. I dare say, yes, she is out there and she will be delighted to finally see it tomorrow when I meet her and maybe choke at what it's actually going to cost her. New glasses in it for me! I had to take a picture of it to forever remind me to remain in my right mind when the next individual comes along and asks me to knit a skirt and I will robotically inform them that I cannot and move right along.

This skirt goes into the knitters "I-Can't-Believe-I-Actually-Knit-This (and survived) Hall of Fame."

When my hands are arthritic when I'm 50, I'll know who to blame.

No comments: