Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Merry Christmas Charlie Brown


"Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."

I love that line. Last night, two Charlie Brown Christmas specials were on TV. I managed to get my daughter out of her room long enough to break away from the DS (well, kind of) and watch them with me. "Just indulge me," I pleaded. She was reluctant, but didn't realize that's what my holidays were like growing up. Rudolf, Frosty, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Charlie Brown; they were a BIG deal. My family would set out time for these and we'd have popcorn or some other snack and sit down and watch them to get into the spirit of the season. Good memories for me. I want to share them with my daughter. She may not "get" it, but it helps me to remember times that were free and problems that were few.

I'm trying to establish our own set of traditions and it's hard because the youth of today are so plugged in, that parents have to really make a concerted, consistent effort to pry their little fingers away from the controls. This year, I'm taking her to the Nutcracker, a fire Solstice celebration and a Garden d'Lights exhibition in Bellevue. A few years back, we even made cookies while listening to John Denver. Not my best moment, but it was fun singing, "thank God I'm a country boy!" while icing the stars. Who can say they've done that!

'Tis the Season!

No comments: