Thursday, August 21, 2008

Toes...


Well, no toes yet, but soon enough friends.

Today I set out to spend time with my sister and thought we'd have an ordinary day. To our great surprise, it is NEVER just an ordinary day with my sister. So after I got up off my butt and picked her up, we went to my favorite yarn shop. I used to work there and every now and then a visit must be made. So in I enter and it was a veritable Christina Fest! Hugs all around. Familiar faces from the regulars on Thursday mornings. It was wonderful. I felt special and so special I even turned down a Cinnabon because my body just didn't need it. I met my client, she tipped me another fifty bucks (woohoo!) and we stayed for a bit and knit and drank tea; Coconut Pouchong.

Then we decided to head to lunch. I treated my sister to a vegetarian lunch at Cafe Flora. A beautiful little place in the heart of Madison Ave. We sat in the atrium next to the rock waterfall and took in the sunlight and the beautiful surroundings of plants and other foliage. Enter left, cute waiter. He had eyelashes like butterfly wings. He could have coaxed me into buying just about anything today. He leaned down, looked at me just a bit too long and smiled. (heart melting right about now) I settled for the bean burger, yam fries and sauce to die for! Topped off with rosemary lemonade. Delicious. While sitting have a moment with my sibling, I noticed a little girl across the way. She had a floral frock on, a fuzzy sweater, and sparkly silver flats. Her lovey, a little purple stuffed thing sat on her lap making sure she was safe while her thumb was in her mouth. She twirled her hair and rubbed her nose all at the same time. It reminded me of my pictures as a child. I sucked my thumb until I was five and twirled my hair and still do. The picture of innocence made me smile. We packed up, I left the waiter a generous tip and we left.

The arboretum followed. We took a chance on the weather and it treated us well. We walked along the grass path with our shoes off and giggled and stopped at the lily pads and tried to look for frogs. None. My sister even tried to 'ribbit.' No go. Another time. More mud in between our toes. I told my sister, "My feet are thanking me right now!" I even made a little voice as if my feet and I had a special relationship. She laughed and took it to many extremes and, well, we are strange. Then, here comes the best part. A man was walking our way holding a backpack with a plaid shirt tied around his waist. That was it. No clothes besides that. I noticed his strategically placed tattooes and his long hair pulled back and chiseled face. Niiice. Then I looked back. "Suzy, he is naked!" I looked back again and he dropped his shirt. Wow, butt shot. He smiled. I thought it a bit deranged but it's not every day that I get mooned by a tight looking fella. I don't know where he was heading but it was certainly a treat for me. I consider that a non-ordinary thing.

So onto Grateful Bread. Good place for coffee and music. It's a jumpy joint so we grabbed a table. She and I were knitting and these two little old ladies came up to us. They had to be in their eighties and she was admiring our work. Then she piped up and said, "I knit blankets for crack babies." And loudly too. I just about lost it. I don't think I've ever heard an old woman say crack baby. I almost couldn't help myself, but smiled and they went away. Strange days.

So, I've decided to enter a post everyday describing one quirky thing per day about myself. You know, crazy factoid, strange thing, whatever. It's an appreciation exercise and I want to appreciate all that I am.

Quirk No. 1: My Toes (See upper pic. Yes, my feet)

I have decided that I have Flintstone feet. They are square, they are flat and they are even cute. The quirky thing is: I never ever go without painting my toe nails. It's not a vanity thing. It's just because I can, so I do. This time, it's the Tuscan Sun color by Revlon. Lovely, don't you think? Tuscan Sun colored Flintstone feet. I like them.

tomorrow, Quirk No. 2? Who knows, stay tuned. : )

No comments: