Monday, October 27, 2008

Moving Day


Moving day has happened..with few casualties. Wake up to an inordinately early alarm, drag my daughter to her ultimate frisbee games. Taking score so that she can properly do Monday announcements for her team. A brutal team they played at that. Never saw so many kids down. They lost by one point. So moving was postponed until 1 pm. My mother and her husband make an appearance at around 12:30. I suggest that the U-haul truck be parked in the driveway. Oh, wait, I don't SEE a U-haul truck. I'm thinking to myself as I calmly look the other way to avoid any unwanted glares, "Where the F*@! is my truck!" My mother, a small town gal, thinks that she can get a U-haul on the morning of the move. I shake my head in utter disbelief and say, "Mom, you can't get anything in this city the same day!" So, downtrodden she goes off to try to find another truck. Meanwhile, I'm in the desolate living room that used to be my living space and speedily click away on Google trying to find a truck. Bam! did and done. Thank you Budget Rentals.

Moving begins. My sister, bless her sweet little boot-camp soul, starts hauling boxes out to the garage. She is a mere blur as she swiftly moves from room to room. Then stares at me in the face on occasion in a moment of heart-felt love and grabs me and says, "I love you! I love your face!" Ahh...my sister. Other times weren't so nicey-nicey. Like, "Let's do this thing!" The one and only. No slackin' with this chick! She is kicking my ass all over the place and taking names! Did I mention that I love her?!

So my mom's husband brings the wrapping materials. Super-heavy-industrial-strength Saran wrap. Heavy sucker too. Well, I nearly pee my pants trying to wrap my couch because it's harder than it looks! So out of breath, crying from laughing so hard and my daughter just looking at us like we are all insane...and she would be fairly accurate.

Suffice it to say, it took us all day to do this. One truck load, a few Volvo wagon loads later, (I felt like the Ikea commercial) and my sister's boyfriend's assistance with his truck and we are moved. Only one casualty; my yarn shelf. Cracked in half. But, there are other shelves in this world. I shall find the right one again soon.

All in all, a good day. Exhausting day. It must be said that I am forever grateful for all the help my mom, her husband, my sister and her boyfriend put into this move. They are truly my dearest family and I love them all. Greg, you deserve a thank-you too. He had my daughter and I over for dinner last night for some REAL food. Turkey, potatoes, brussel sprouts, dark chocolate, Vodka Tonic and a fire to warm my toes. I think this has been a good move and I'm looking forward, thinking forward and holding onto any bit of hope that comes my way. What a way to end an amazing weekend and a hope for better times ahead.

No comments: