Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ho Ho Huh?

Correction on previous post. The quote got mucked up in the blog formatting. It’s from “The Halloween Tree” by Ray Bradbury.

Now on to the fibery things in life; my knitting. I recently finished three Christmas stockings for a client. It has been the bane of my existence since April when he ordered them. I always underestimate the time it takes me to do these kinds of things. I charged him well, but in retrospect, I should have charged him more. $150.00 just wasn’t enough for all the hours of anxiety I went through. I don’t even like knitting Christmas stockings, especially since I don’t celebrate the holiday for the same reasons most people do. But I digress yet again. If I have to look at another green/red combo, I think I might barf. My true satisfaction comes from producing something with my hands and seeing the expression on the faces of those I present it to. He was pleased, to say the least and I’m quite proud of them. I don’t usually toot my own rusty horn, but in the fibery aspects of life, I’m pretty exceptional, since I had didn't have a pattern and had to replicate a stocking from the 1950's that his mother made him.

Next, my long-time client has commissioned yet another garment from me. This time, from an Anny Blatt pattern book from the ‘80’s. Can I just slit my wrists now? Imagine if you will; a bubby blonde in enormous plastic earrings, too much make-up and wearing an oversized garment that looks like a potato sack tied up with ribbon. That is what I have to knit. Pictures to come, I promise.

Better yet, onto my homespun. I need to set the yarn I spun on my Ashford wheel and make a scarf and hopefully enough for a hat as well. My wheel’s name is Daisy. She has served me well and I am looking forward to spinning more in the colder months ahead.

So, take a good look at the stockings. I have indelibly documented it so that I will never forget all the time and effort it took me to create such things and for a measly 150 bucks. Beggars (which is me) cannot be choosers. So I move on.

No comments: