Friday, January 9, 2009

Attraction 101

The laws of attraction are confusing. Theories have been postulated and morphed for the twenty-first century and it is now a matter of putting it "out into the universe" of what it is you want. Well, as with anything, easier said than done. I can put out all I want into the universe, but it doesn't mean it's going to come to fruition. Or does it?

Laws are supposed to be black and white; attraction is not. What makes someone attracted to you? I believe it's all relative anyway and I think that most of my friends are full of horse pucky when it comes to what it is they really want. I often times listen to my friends talk about what they are attracted to; hair, eyes, hands, feet. Down to the detail of big nose v. small nose. Then why do they hook up with someone quite the opposite of what they just said? Does physical attraction really play that large a part in why you get the nerve to make your move?

I recently listened to a song this morning by one of my favorite artists. She sings, "the sexiest thing is trust."

I think that is where I hang my coat on the attraction rack. Trust and commonality are extremely sexy, regardless if I find them to be "my type." Yet commonalities have a limit. I don't want someone who likes everything I like and I don't want someone to want me because I like everything they like. Yet, we must have a great deal in common. There is a delicate balance in the ratio of what we have in common and what we don't. I believe a respect and an attractive curiosity to what is different about the other person is crucial. So he doesn't like horror films. No problem. But he thinks it's awful cute that I do. So he's a morning person and I'm not. But he watches you snore in the morning as he's getting up because he doesn't want to wake you up too early. That is the kind of attraction I'm looking for. It's out there.

My analytical thought process isn't working on all floors this morning and I've probably less than completely articulated my points, but I think one can get what's being said.

This is what I think about driving to work on a cold January morning in Seattle.

No comments: