Monday, August 3, 2009

So, seven resumes I sent out today and I get this email from a company based out of California asking me to submit my name and get a "free" credit check so that they can determine if I'm good enough to get an interview. Excuse me? I know employers do credit checks; that's fine, but to be asked to submit my social security number AND credit card information on a website I'm not familiar with seems a little shady to me. No can do. What do I have to do, sell my spleen for an interview now? It may end up being very kosher and all, but I need proof before they steal my identity...

Job searching, in a word, sucks!

On the more positive side, I trotted down to Ol' Schmitz Hall on the UW campus to retrieve my transcript. It is what my daughter would call "bombsauce" of academics. I ruled. Single mother of a toddler, four and a half years, all summers included, and I made out with a 3.5 overall GPA. Nice job, if I do say so myself. Let's see where it gets me with this teaching thing. I may be teaching Biology to hormone-charged high school freshmen in my future. I've checked into the UW and have an appointment with the Biology department in late August (she's on vacation; must be nice) and going to the SPU tomorrow to just get another option. I feel like I have to give my signature in blood every time I go to one of these appointments. Very daunting and scrutinizing.

No comments: