Sunday, March 7, 2010

End of the Season


Parents, you know what I'm talking about when I say, "I have a kid in sports." We all know the long hours of training and practice that cuts into all of our grocery shopping time, our "down-time", our one hour each day that we might get to ourselves. The mornings where a book and cup of coffee are all we want, but no, we must drive to the gym and encourage our brood to be their best. Schmooze with other parents. Make connections and smile even though you look like you just got out of bed. Once you have a kid in sports, it's all over. I mean, it's all over once they get expunged out of our wombs, but sports is a whole other story.

My daughter has participated in the same basketball team for three years now, with amazing coaches I might add. She doesn't play for her school, but through her local community center. There are ups and downs. Wins and losses. Today marked the end of another season and pictured here is the team with their only win of the season. A good way to end it, don't you think? My daughter is the one with the biggest smile. Now, another season starts: Ultimate Frisbee.

Around 12 years ago, hardly anyone knew Ultimate Frisbee even existed! Now, it is a sanctioned, and very popular sport. World-wide even. Who knew? Turns out, it has become my daughter's first love. She has played three years and it is the funnest sport out there. You can play girls, boys and co-ed teams and the spirit these kids have is amazing. Their stamina is something to comment on too. They practice every day, for two hours. I wish I had even a thimble full of the energy required to do what she does. It takes enough just to drag my arse to the gym three days a week. But I digress. I'm proud of her. She is everything I had hoped she'd be. I'm no soccer mom, but I'm something more....I'm an Ultimate Mom. Let the games begin!

No comments: